Project: Instagram - Add a Feature
Role: UX/UI Designer
UX Design Tools: Adobe XD, InVision
Timeline: 4 Day Sprint

For my second project at the Ironhack Bootcamp, I was tasked with the challenge to analyze an already existing and highly adopted app and incorporate a new feature into the existing product.
Instagram was launched on October 6, 2010. This first post was from Instagram co-creator Kevin Systrom.
"Believe it or not, people took photos before Instagram. People even shared photos before Instagram. With its snazzy filters and easy sharing options, soon we were all addicted to posting our holiday hot dog legs and hipster food snaps". 
DISCOVER
As of August 2020, footballer, Cristiano Ronaldo had the most popular Instagram account. Well, he’s the most-followed person. Instagram’s own account had over 360 million following. Ronaldo has over 237 million followers.
As of June 2018, the cross-platform app reported more than 1 billion monthly active users. Currently, there are approximately 112 million Instagram users in the United States and experts project this figure to surpass 120 million users in 2023.
I created a Competitor Feature Analysis as you can see to the left. I made a list of features provided by the various social media platforms to access how Instagram compared with its competition.
After examining the different features, I plotted out my Market Positioning Chart below. I compared community-oriented to less community-oriented and "hard-to-find people like me" to "easy-to-find people like me".

DEFINE
I interviewed eight Instagram users on Day 1. (It’s a four-day sprint! No time to waste!) I typed up my data into virtual sticky notes. 
It was time to sort those insights into an Affinity Map. First grouping by what the users like about IG, don’t like, why they use it, how often they use it, what they wish were different, what other social media they are using, and why they like or don’t like other social media.
What Instagram Users Are Saying:
“It’s simple, direct, and easy…you just post a picture".
“good aesthetically for promoting my business”
“use it to share photos and for social networking”
“text formatting can be frustrating, you want it to look a certain way and it’s all squished together”

From the data, I created an As-Is Scenario Map going through what a user might experience when using the app..
Which led right into the Customer Journey Map that further illustrates what the user is doing, thinking, and feeling.​​​​​​​
I was able to refine my opportunities which led to developing a feature that could bring value to the Instagram experience.
Opportunities I pulled out of the User Journey were:
Create Groups to help users find other users.
Expand the number of pictures you can post.
Optimize text feature for longer, more stylized captions.
I developed my three Problem Statements and turned them into “How Might We” questions.
DEVELOP
Posing the HMW questions was the jumping-off point for brainstorming. Since I was working alone on this project, I invited some of my classmates to join in the brainstorming session.
I narrowed the brainstorming ideas into the MoSCoW Method. Finding the options that were must-haves. Helping me get a step closer to my solution for the new feature. Based on my research up this point, I decided to focus on adding a feature that would help users connect with groups that would be formed by common interests.
JOBS TO BE DONE
When looking for users to follow on Instagram, the user wants to find people with similar interests, so that they can connect with people they can relate to, which will make them feel happy.
Day 3: I came up with my MVP
Using Jobs To Be Done as my guide, my Minimum Viable Product, MVP was to add a “Groups” feature to Instagram. Similar to Facebook, users can start groups that are specific to hobbies, common interests, etc.
DELIVER
Low-Fi Prototypes
I ran five tests on my lo-fi prototypes. I linked my prototype into Maze and here are some of the results:
Tested Five Users
Direct Success 83.3%
One Tester Gave Up
Misclick Rate 28.6%
Most users had trouble on the first screen
I designed my Mid-Fi Prototypes using Adobe XD. Due to time constraints, these were taken directly from the Lo-Fi Prototypes.

Day 4: My project was due tomorrow. I was in a rush to complete the four-day sprint and did not adequately address this issue of confusion on the first screen. Again, I linked my prototypes in Maze and tested five users. The misclick rate for the home page was 75%. An improvement, perhaps credited to the cleaner easier to read mid-fi.
High-Fi Prototypes
Now, the really fun part!! I created my High-Fi Prototypes in Adobe XD. It was a lot of fun recreating Instagram's design.
Success & Failure Metrics
Success
How many groups are created
How quickly users are able to create groups 
New users added.
Failures 
Lower number of groups created 
Time on task of creating new groups
Churn rate.
I learned so much in my second week/second project at Ironhack. I loved working on the prototypes and using Maze. It was a lot of fun seeing what I can do, flexing my own UX/UI “muscle”. However, I missed the benefit of working with a team. I did utilize the expertise of my instructor David Fast, TA Dave Ostergren, and my classmates throughout the sprint.
Next Steps:
More research.
I want to do further develop my high-fi prototypes. Implement more XD features.
Do more testing on my prototypes.
And, of course this was only Week 2, I was sure to improve on my UX/UI skills over the next ten weeks. :)
Back to Top